Where in the world do you want to go?
Learn by Going
Many opportunities for studying abroad exist for Cal Poly students. The goal of this site is to assist you with finding the program that best meets your academic and personal goals.
So you want to study abroad and are not sure what you need to do? Here are five tips to help you start the process.
- Start early. You should begin planning 6 to 9 months in advance, preferably longer. Speak to your academic advisor, the study abroad advisor, or the program supervisor.
- Attend a mandatory information session. These sessions will provide you with more details about each program, program application deadlines, and financing your study abroad trip.
- Ensure the credits you earn abroad count toward general education or degree requirements. Students are strongly encouraged to submit a GE Study Abroad petition before going abroad in order to know in advance which courses will be approved for GE credit. Review the petition policies at the GE Study Abroad website.
- Apply early for a passport, or check the expiration date on your current passport to be sure it remains valid for six months after the end of your program.
- Understand your study abroad options. Discover which study abroad program fits your academic and personal goals.