Announcement: Health & Safety Updates: Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Last Updated 4/1/2020
Please review new information for students, faculty and staff
The International Center continues to monitor the worldwide situation of the COVID-19 outbreak. The safety of our students and employees abroad and of international students and scholars on campus is our highest priority. We are in communication with the CSU, campus stakeholders, and San Luis Obispo County Public Health in our response to the novel coronavirus.
Students and Faculty Currently Abroad
- Cal Poly has suspended all current study abroad programs worldwide. Students and faculty currently abroad have been asked to make immediate plans to return to the U.S. Exceptions to this suspension have been considered for students who have medical reasons for the request.
- On March 19, the U.S. Department of State raised the Global Health Advisory to level - DO NOT TRAVEL.
- "U.S. citizens who [typically] live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period."
- President Trump issued a U.S. national state of emergency declaration on Friday, March 13.
Summer/Fall 2020 Study Abroad Programs
- On March 27, the International Center suspended all remaining summer programs (including all faculty-led programs outside of Europe and Asia, and all Affiliated Partner Programs) with start dates before August 1. This decision follows the March 18 announcement suspending summer faculty-led Global Programs in Europe and Asia
- Cal Poly has not restricted travel for fall programs abroad at this time. Students preparing for fall programs abroad should consult the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and U.S. Department of State for ongoing recommendations.
- Program participants should wait to purchase airfare for fall programs as the situation develops. At the time of purchase, participants should strongly consider insuring their flights against trip disruption and/or cancellation or have fully refundable tickets.
- All faculty and staff international travel has been suspended until May 31, 2020. Faculty and staff who were to travel abroad must cancel plans for international travel immediately. International insurance coverage and fees will be reversed.
- International students are allowed to take all spring quarter classes virtually without any visa issues given the current circumstances.
- Students should consider emailing the faculty teaching their spring quarter classes to find out if the class sessions will be recorded. This is particularly important if you will be participating from a different time zone.
- All international students planning to be outside the U.S. during spring quarter are required to notify the International Center before April 6th.
- The County of San Luis Obispo Department of Public Health announced a shelter-at-home order effective 5 p.m. on March 19, and the State of California issued a stay-at-home order on March 20.
- Please note that U.S. health officials are continually updating requirements for screening and self-isolation or other quarantine/isolation once individuals arrive back in the U.S. County of San Luis Obispo Department of Public Health continues to provide updates.
- Students, faculty and staff who are preparing to return home should visit Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for additional information regarding how to travel safely amidst growing concerns related to COVID-19.
- International Students and Scholars should contact email@example.com.
- Study Abroad inquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or specific study abroad advisors/coordinators.
- Faculty and staff international travel inquiries should be sent to email@example.com.
- Visit Cal Poly coronavirus information site for the latest campus information.
Faculty/Staff International Travel Requests
International Students & Scholars
Out of an abundance of caution and care, the International Center office is currently operating virtually and are happy to serve you in the following ways:
Workshops & Info Sessions
Select "Workshops & Info Sessions" from the STUDY ABROAD menu. Register for Study Abroad 101, or attend an Info Session or Workshop!All Workshop Schedules
Taste of the World
February 5, 2020 2 - 4 p.m.
The Cal Poly International Center is putting on a free festival to give Cal Poly a "taste of the world!" FSN 344 Institutional Foodservice II students will prepare international cuisine from around the world! Activities will likely include henna, Russian calligraphy, music, and more!
The event is from 2-4 p.m. on February 5, 2019, outside Campus Market!
View the Taste of the World Event on Facebook
CIEE Passport Caravan
The CIEE Passport Caravan is coming to Cal Poly on March 5, 2020 and you may be eligible to receive a free passport!
The deadline to apply is January 31.
If you meet the criteria below, you are encouraged to apply for this opportunity!
- A U.S citizen
- In need of a new passport (and NOT A PASSPORT RENEWAL)
- Available March 5, 2020 for a short appointment on campus
- Current Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior enrolled at Cal Poly
Visit CIEE Passport Caravan on Abroad for eligibility and apply by January 31. We will notify applicants of their status no later than February 14.