Cal Poly International Exchange: University Exchange

Cal Poly International Exchange Programs offer students opportunities to study their academic disciplines at partner universities for up to one year.

The University of Birmingham offers opportunities for students in the College of Liberal Arts to study courses in their major for either a semester or an academic year.

Birmingham, United Kingdom

Britain's second-largest city with a population of approximately 1 million is also one of Europe’s most exciting. Birmingham is brimming with life and culture, making it a wonderful place to live, study and work. Alongside outstanding museums and galleries you'll find an increasing number of gourmet restaurants, picturesque canals lined with trendy cafes, attractions, and cruises.

Apply Now!
Back to top


This program is open to students in the College of Liberal Arts.


  • Minimum 2.8 GPA
  • Not actively on academic probation
  • Good disciplinary standing

The Cal Poly application will ask you to submit the following supplemental materials:

  • Personal Statement
  • Official Transcript
  • Copy of your Passport

The advisors for this program will review all applications after the application date has passed. Students will then be contacted to participate in an in-person group interview. Upon completion of the interview and full application review, students will be notified if they have been approved by Cal Poly to participate in the Birmingham exchange program.

Back to top


On exchange at Birmingham, students are able to take a wide array of courses. You will earn transfer credit on this program.

Students are highly encouraged to get their Major, Minor and GE courses pre-approved prior to applying to the Exchange program.

Major Courses: Provide the course descriptions to your Academic Advising Center/Faculty Contact to determine the course equivalencies and how credits will transfer back. Students are highly encouraged to consult with their academic advisor/faculty advisor to complete any necessary paperwork prior to applying/departure.

Minor Courses: Consult with the Minor Department to discuss the best way to seek course pre-approvals.

To search the courses available, visit the the University of Birmingham's programmes and modules search page; modules are the equivalent of our courses, and can be searched by title or department. Back to top